The Brinly-Hardy Company moved its operating facilities across the river to Jeffersonville, Indiana, about 5 miles from its old location in Louisville, Ky. This new manufacturing facility allows us to keep growing in important ways. Featuring state-of-the-art manufacturing technology, the new facility enhances our flexibility for accommodating large volume orders, as well as special order requests.
Company Profile Request update info.
The Brinly-Hardy Company traces its origin to “Little John Brinly”, a blacksmith who set up shop in Simpsonville, Kentucky, around 1800 and made plows in his spare time when he wasn’t shoeing horses, mules and oxen of the settlers newly arrived in Kentucky or for those headed West. He crafted the “Brinly” plow with a wooden moldboard, cast iron front, point and heel bolt around 1805. This plow was once owned by Isaac Shelby, the first governor of Kentucky, and is now in the Kentucky Historical Museum in Frankfort, Kentucky The son of “Little John Brinly”, Mr. T. E. C. Brinly, later fashioned a one-piece steel plow from a saw blade around 1837. He is considered the first manufacturer of steel plows in this portion of the country. The excellence of these plows soon made them famous among the farmers of Kentucky. Still in Simpsonville, Mr. Brinly worked at the forge, turning out plows for the neighboring farmers. Until 1859, Mr. T. E. C. Brinly was still manufacturing plows at Simpsonville. At that time he furnished nearly his entire output to W. B. Belknap & Company in Louisville, from whom he purchased his steel and other materials. Belknap bought the plows for shipment down river by steamboat or flatboat to Memphis, Natchez, Vicksburg and New Orleans. The plows quickly gained a good reputation in the South. The method employed in doing business in those days was for him to send in a wagon load of plows, and haul back a wagon load of steel. Sometimes he would walk the 20 miles back to Simpsonville, if the load was too heavy for his mules